Inventory management is critical to a brand's e-commerce experience. By following inventory management best practices, you’ll run and manage an efficient and effective program. We recommend uploading inventory at a minimum once per week. Some clients send inventory data multiple times each day.
FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is used to communicate and transfer files between computers.
Creating the inventory file
Please make sure the file is formatted correctly before beginning. The inventory file must contain the following 3 required columns: Fulfillment, SKU or UPC and Quantity. We accept UPC or SKU based on the account setup and how we’re mapping to the Store File. We recommend using SKU, since this is required on your store file and UPC is not. However, this column can be easily changed to UPC.
|Fulfillment Outlet Code||SKU or UPC||Quantity|
NOTE: The example above shows a header so that you can see the columns, but do not include the header in the actual file being uploaded, as this will cause errors.
To save: Ensure the filename is exactly brandname.refresh
- If you are using MS Excel to create this file, save it as a file type CSV
Your filename is now in the correct format to upload: brandname.refresh.csv
Upload the inventory file via the FTP
The next step requires you to download an FTP client with a simple GUI. The 2 recommended options are Cyberduck or Filezilla.
- Cyberduck makes it very easy to perform all manner of FTP tasks. It is suitable for almost all FTP transfers including FTP, SFP, Webdav and Amazon S3 transfers. For those looking for a reliable and free FTP client, Cyberduck checks all the right boxes.
Contact your Customer Success partner for the unique login credentials that you'll need to use to login.
Note: The username and password are case sensitive and will look something like the following:
- Username: brandname Password: 123456
Note: Scripting is an option for automated uploads through the FTP. Please sync with your IT department on creating a program or script to format the inventory correctly and upload it to the ExpertVoice server.
Tutorial - Cyberduck
(Screenshots from Mac)
1. After downloading CyberDuck, click Open Connection
2. Server name: ftp.expertvoice.com
Fill out username and password
3. You will see the below in the bottom left-hand corner. This means that the connection is successful and working to connect. If you do not see this, the login information is not correct.
4. Drop the inventory file into the inbound folder
5. The file will show that it is being uploaded, and when the upload has been completed
NOTE: The file will be uploaded to the FTP in less than a minute. It takes about 20 minutes for the file to process, and update inventory in your store on ExpertVoice.
- If the file is named wrong or not saved as .csv, the file will still upload and not show as an error. It is important to make sure the file is saved in the correct format: brandname.refresh.csv
- If there is an error within the file such as missing data points, our Tech Ops Manager will get a notification, and notify your Customer Success Partner to reach out
- Cyberduck can timeout, as the default is 30 seconds, which should be increased in the preferences to prevent timeout issues